Self Introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone, 

I hope this letter finds you well.  I am writing this letter to introduce myself. My name is Zikry Matin, I am a student attending your critical thinking and communicating module and currently enrolled as a year 1 mechanical engineering student.

From a young age, my passion for cars was sparked when my parents introduced me to Formula 1. I was captivated by how every small detail in a car's design could be the difference between leading the race or falling to the back of the grid. Whether it's the aerodynamics, engine performance, or countless other components, each plays a crucial role in determining whether a team excels or struggles on the track. This passion for problem-solving and analytical thinking led me to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering.

One of my key communication strengths is my ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of people. During my time in polytechnic, I was responsible for organizing events for the school of engineering. In this role, I worked closely with external suppliers, vendors, lecturers, and fellow students, each with their own working styles. I coordinated the event planning process and ensured smooth communication across all parties. During the events, I also engaged with participants, keeping them involved and gathering valuable feedback. One of my communication weaknesses is my difficulty in articulating my thoughts clearly. At times, when I’m explaining something or trying to convey a concept, my friends have mentioned that they struggle to understand what I’m trying to say. This can be challenging, as it occasionally hinders effective communication.

Through this module, I aim to improve my ability to articulate my thoughts more clearly and communicate more effectively with my peers. Additionally, I hope to enhance my technical writing skills for reports and develop better strategies for tackling challenging projects.

What sets me apart is my problem-solving ability and my drive to get things done. I stay focused on finding solutions, no matter the challenge, and I'm always looking for ways to improve and push myself further. I am looking forward to contributing to and learning from the module, and I am excited about the opportunities for growth that lies ahead.

Yours Sincerely

Zikry Matin

Comments

  1. Clarity:
    Strength:
    I feel that this email is generally easy to understand with little to no ambiguity.

    Precision:
    Strength:
    I feel that all the required points were addressed straight to the point, and are easy to understand


    Accuracy
    Strength:
    Generally, I feel that there were no grammar mistakes


    Significance:
    Strength:
    I feel that this letter was relevant in allowing me to learn more about you


    Relevance:
    Strength:
    All information presented in the letter was generally relevant to the letter's objective.

    Completeness:
    Strength:
    I feel that generally, the letter was complete, however there may be room to further shorten paragraph 3

    Weakness:
    I feel that paragraph 3 “I was responsible for organizing events for the school of engineering. In this role, I worked closely with external suppliers, vendors, lecturers, and fellow students, each with their own working styles. I coordinated the event planning process and ensured smooth communication across all parties. During the events, I also engaged with participants, keeping them involved and gathering valuable feedback.”

    This could be further summarized into this, I was part of the organizing committee back when I was in the polytechnic. This role allowed me to work with multiple people with differing backgrounds and working styles. I was able to engage with students, lecturers as well as vendors. Increasing my experience in effective communication across all levels.

    Weakness:
    I felt that you left out some details about your educational background as you did not state which polytechnic you were from previously.

    Logicalness:
    Strength:
    I feel that generally, the letter was written in a logical manner that addressed all the required points, less your educational background


    Fairness:
    Strength:
    I felt that the letter was generally fair as both sides of strengths and weakness are adequately addressed with sufficient evidence

    Breadth:
    Strength:
    I feel that the letter was comprehensive as you shared a good amount of personal experience and linked it to the points in the letter

    Depth:
    Strength:
    I felt that the letter had a good amount of depth which allowed me to understand you deeper as an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zikry, I’m glad to have you be part of our pit crew. Your introduction had clarity and was relevant.

    Your take on Formula 1 was insightful and also brings significance to your passion which inspired you to pursue a mechanical engineering degree.

    You have a fair take on communication as you have provided both your strengths and weaknesses. You were also able to support them with personal experiences as a sizable portion of us are receptive to feedback from our friends. However, I felt that your description of your role as an organizer was too wordy. The last two sentences could have been combined into “ I helped ensure smooth communication with all parties and gathered valuable feedback from participants.”

    I appreciate your honesty with your goals for this module as you want to go beyond just working on current weaknesses.

    I was also able to learn about what sets you apart from everyone else, however, you could have included this with your communication strengths. Your strengths are able to elaborate on your unique abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Zikry,

    Thank you for this articulate, well developed and informative letter. You address each key point with clear depth as you elaborate in fine detail. I'm impressed by how in the various content sections you make a great effort in sharing specific info. For example, in the reflection section, you do a very good job of detailing your comm strength being the ability to collaborate, and then naturally you mention the event planning experience.

    I truly appreciate such an effort in specific to this assignment, your willingness to share and, on a broader scale, the growth mindset.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts